- 5 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon sized pieces
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Unlimited amounts of love
- Peel potatoes and rinse in cold water (cut potatoes in half if exceptionally large). If you want the smoothest potatoes possible, remove the little knots from the potatoes with a small spoon or the tip of a knife.
- Place potatoes in a large 5-quart pot and cover potatoes with cold water.
- Bring to a boil and cook partially covered until easily pierced with a knife about 20-25 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes.
- Drain well and transfer to a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, start to break apart the potatoes.
- Next on low-speed start to whip the potatoes, about 30 seconds then increase to medium and slowly drizzle in the heavy cream to reach your desired texture, about 1 minute more.
- With the mixer on, add softened butter 1 tablespoon at a time, waiting a few seconds between each addition. Potatoes will be whipped and fluffy. Finally add salt and pepper, now taste, adjust seasoning if needed.