- 9 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small sweet potato, diced into 1/3 inch pieces
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1/2 fennel bulb, chopped
- 6 slices Canadian bacon or leftover ham, such as Nueske’s, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups finely sliced Tuscan kale
- 3 cups mixed grated cheeses, such as gruyere, cheddar and parmesan
- Preheat the broiler to high and position an oven rack in the center of the oven.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, milk and 3/4 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Heat a 10-inch ovenproof nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the oil and butter to the hot pan and continue to heat until the butter is fully melted. Add the sweet potato to the pan and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, for about 4 minutes or until the potatoes are beginning to brown and are just cooked through. Add the onion, fennel and Canadian bacon to the pan and season with another pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often for another 3 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add the pepper flakes, kale and remaining salt. Cook for 2 minutes or until the kale is wilted. Add the egg mixture and about half of the cheeses. Using a rubber spatula, scrape the cooked egg from the bottom and edges into the center of the pan. Continue to do this until the mixture resembles very loose scrambled eggs. Sprinkle the top with the remaining cheeses and place under the broiler for about 3 minutes or until lightly browned and cooked through. Allow to cool slightly before slicing into wedges to serve.
*Cook’s note: be sure to taste as you go in order to adjust seasoning as needed.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Yield: serves 4 to 6