For Pie Filling:
- 2 lb sweet potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon orange liqueur
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 stick butter (4 Tablespoons)
For Pie Crust:
- 2.5 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons frozen butter, chopped
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening, cold
- 1/2 cup ice cold water
For Crust :
- Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl.
- Add the butter and shortening.
- Using a pastry cutter or two forks, cut the butter and shortening into the mixture until it resembles coarse meal. (A food processor makes this step very easy and quick.)
- Drizzle cold water in and mix until a ball of dough forms. Knead dough on floured surface just a few times. Split into two halves and wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Roll out the chilled pie dough discs and place into pie pans. Form to fit pans and cut away any excess.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large pot. Cover with water, then bring to a boil on the stovetop. Boil for 45-55 minutes until soft.
- Drain the boiling water and run the potatoes under very cold water. The skin should peel off easily. Place peeled potatoes into a mixer bowl.
- Using a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the potatoes on medium-high speed until smooth.
- Add the remaining filling ingredients and beat on high speed until smooth and combined.
- Spread filling into prepared pie crust.
- Crumble topping ingredients together by hand and place on top of your pie.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes.
- Let cool 2 hours on cooling rack.