From his book: From My Plate To Yours: Lunch Fix.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut
in half lengthwise and crosswise into
bite size pieces (about 8 pieces each for a total of 16)
2 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Kosher salt and fresh ground
black pepper (1/2 tsp for both)
Vegetable oil, for frying (cup and a half)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4-5 cups tortilla chips
For the Pita Sandwich:
2/3 cup Chipotle Bacon Mayo (recipe link here)
or your favorite dipping sauce
4 whole wheat pitas with pockets
4 cups mixed salad greens
1/3 cup pickled red onion, sliced
1 large tomato, cut into 4 wedges,
then cut in half
- Place the chicken pieces in large plastic resealable bag; add 1tsp. olive oil, garlic powder, cumin, cinnamon and light salt, and pepper. Seal the bag and shake to coat the chicken.
- Heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat until the oil is hot and shimmering.
- In a small bowl or shallow dish, season flour with salt and pepper, beat the eggs in another shallow dish to create an egg wash.
- In a third shallow dish, crush the tortilla chips by hand. Don’t worry about making them too fine, having various sizes adds lots of texture. (Note: test the cooking oil with one corn chip, it should sizzle immediately)
- Carefully place the chicken pieces in the skillet and fry until golden brown, flip only once, about 5 minutes total.
- Using a slotted spatula, transfer the chicken to a plate lined with paper towels. Cook in batches until all the chicken has been cooked.
- BRING IT TOGETHER: Slice open pitas and stuff each evenly with the salad greens, onions, and tomatoes; top with chicken (about 4 pieces for each pocket), and drizzle with chipotle dressing or dipping sauce of your choice and serve.