SHATERA’S POTATO SALAD
- 3 pounds of Russet Potatoes (8-9 medium size/6-7 large size-peeled and cubed)
- 2 cups of Water
- 2 Cups Swanson Low Sodium Chicken Broth (or any brand you prefer)
- 1 Medium Sweet Yellow Onion (finely minced)
- 2 Tbsp of Parsley (flat leaf-finely chopped)
- 1 cup of Hellman’s Mayo (or any brand you prefer)
- 1/4 cup or 2 Tbsp of French’s Yellow Mustard (or any brand you prefer)
- 1 Tbsp of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce (for a kick-or any brand you prefer)
- 1/4 cup of Heinz Sweet Relish (or any brand you prefer)
- 2 Tbsp of ground sugar (so it won’t taste tarte-optional)
- 2 Tbsp Lawry’s Seasoning Salt
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Garnish: (optional)
- Scallion (cut)
- In a large pot, add water, chicken broth and cut potatoes. No need to add any salt as the chicken broth will replace that. Bring to a boil and let cook for about 20-25min. The potatoes are done when you can easily stick a fork in them with little resistance. You now want to drain your potatoes in a strainer.
- Place cooked potatoes in an appropriate size bowl, cover with lid and place in the fridge to chill for about an hour. This method will help keep the potatoes firm when adding your ingredients. We’re not making mash potatoes and we definitely don’t want warm potato salad. However, this step is optional.
- Now combine all the ingredients in this order (optional): Veggies, onions and parsley, gently fold the ingredients in potatoes. Next, all wet ingredients, mayo, mustard, hot sauce and relish, gently fold the ingredients in mixture. Lastly, add all dry seasoning, ground sugar, seasoning salt, garlic powder, onion powder and black pepper, fold gently in mixture. Ensure that all the veggies, wet and dry ingredients are evenly mixed to coat the potatoes.
- Garnish the potato salad sprinkling paprika and scallions. (Optional)