Makes about 15 Biscuits
- 2½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 4 oz (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled (about ¾ cup)
- ¾ cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon mixed chopped herbs (parsley, thyme, rosemary)
- 1⅓ cups buttermilk
1. Spray or butter a half sheet pan. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, ground mustard, cayenne pepper and baking soda. Add the shortening and use your fingertips to pinch it into the flour mixture to form small, pea sized pieces.
3. Using a box grater, grate the frozen butter into the flour mixture and toss until all of the pieces are coated. Pinch the butter into the flour for about a minute.
4. Toss in the bacon, grated cheddar and herbs. Combine until evenly distributed.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry mixture, and pour in the buttermilk. Mix until the dough forms a shaggy mass and there are no dry bits of flour left. The dough should be slightly sticky.
5. Scoop or spoon a heaping ¼ cup of dough into mounds on the prepared sheet pan.
6. Bake until the tops are golden brown and crisp, about 14 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes before serving hot.