BBQ Pulled Chicken by Chef Art Smith
2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 coarse ground black pepper
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/2 cups ketchup
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cut diagonally into the chicken breasts about 1/4 inch deep in an x shape to allow the bbq sauce to flavor more of the chicken. (like how a holiday ham has the top cut into an x shape).
3. Add all the ingredients together in a large bowl and toss well together until mixed.
4. Add the chicken to a sheet pan, then pour the sauce over the chicken breasts.
5. Cook for 25 -30 minutes or until caramelized, browned and cooked through.
6. Shred the chicken with the forks and serve in your favorite bun, spooning the sauce over the chicken.
7. If the sauce didn’t cook down enough (if you use a pan that’s too small it may not), then add the sauce to a saucepan and cook on medium heat until thickened (likely 15-20 minutes).
Mac and Cheese by Chef Art Smith
1 lb penne pasta or elbow macaroni
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
4 cups whole milk, warmed
2 cups extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, freshly grated
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Hot pepper sauce
1/3 cup Parmesan Reggiano cheese, freshly grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Bring pot of well-salted water to boil. Add noodles and boil until almost al dente. Drain.
3. Butter a 4-quart casserole dish.
4. Make a roux by melting the butter in a saucepan, and slowly adding the flower, stirring constantly. Whisk in the milk and simmer until thickened. Reduce to low for about 5 minutes more.
5. Remove the roux from the heat, and stir in 1 cup of the American or colby cheese, along with the salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste. Remember not to be stingy with the salt.
6. Blend remaining cheeses. Now here comes the fun part! Place 1/3 of the cooked noodles on bottom of casserole, topped with 1/2 of the cheese mixture, then 1/3 of the sauce mixture. Add another layer with 1/3 of the noodles, topped with the remaining cheese mixture and another 1/3 of sauce. For the final layer, add remaining noodles, remaining sauce, and top with Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.