Zooey Deschanel’s Favorite Dish by “Table for Two by Julie Chiou”
For more good-for-you food ideas from Zooey, check out www.merryfield.com.
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¾ cup dried red split lentils
- 1 13.5- ounce can unsweetened full fat coconut milk
- 1 ¼ – 1 ½ cups water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 14.5- ounce can crushed tomatoes
- Sour cream for garnish
- Press sauté on the front of your 6-quart Instant Pot. In the insert, add the onion, garlic, ginger paste, curry powder, crushed red pepper flakes, lentils, coconut milk, water, salt, and pepper. Stir to mix then let it come up to a simmer then press cancel. Immediately add the can of crushed tomatoes LAST and on top of everything else and do not stir it in. Pressure cookers seem to not like tomatoes for some reason and you will often times get a BURN notice. If you don’t stir the tomatoes in and just let it sit on top, you should be fine.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and make sure that the vent is set to sealing.
- Using the manual function, use high pressure and set the cook time to 15 minutes.
- Once the soup has finished cooking, let sit for 15 minutes before you quick release the pressure. You can choose to either quick release it or let it naturally release, depending on how hungry you are or when dinner is!
- Divide evenly into bowls and garnish with parsley or cilantro on top.