- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon of black coarsely cracked pepper
- ½ teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 4 pounds bone-in, skin-on chicken drumsticks and thighs
- 15 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ½ cup coconut vinegar
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 8 fresh bay leaves
- Cooked rice, for serving
1. In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium-high until shimmering. Add the garlic, whole peppercorns, freshly ground pepper and red-pepper flakes, drop the temperature to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is toasted and softened and mixture is fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2. Add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook over medium-high, undisturbed, until fat starts to render, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in the coconut milk, coconut vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaves and 1 cup water, and let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken feels loosened and just about falling off the bone, stirring halfway through, about 1 hour.
4. Increase the temperature to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened to a velvety gravy, about 15 minutes. Serve chicken and sauce over rice.